An Introduction to Garden Design - Workshop
May 22nd 10am - 4.00pm
Paul will be running this one day training course at Ferndell B and B in Shrewsbury.
This one day course will provide you with an insight into the process of designing a domestic garden. You’ll learn about the steps that a professional garden designer follows to produce individual garden designs for their clients. A the end of the course you’ll be able to take some of these techniques and use them on your own garden (or someone else’s!).
If you are interested in booking a place on the course please contact Sarah at Ferndell, 14 Underdale Road, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY2 5DL
Tel: 01743 344949 Mob: 07854492874
WHAT HAVE YOU GOT?
- You’ll learn how to survey and produce a scale plan of your garden to use as the basis for your designs.
- We’ll look at how to analyse what you’ve already got and decide what’s worth keeping
WHAT DO YOU WANT?
- You’ll learn how to write a design brief
- We’ll consider a range of garden styles and decide which one suits you and your garden
HOW DO YOU DESIGN IT?
a) THE FRAMEWORK
- We’ll learn about the principles of design
- We’ll use some of these principles to consider ways of dividing up the garden into zones, and how these zones will be linked
- We’ll look at ways of approaching differently shaped gardens
- We’ll explore some of the available hard landscaping materials and where they might be used.
b) THE PLANTS
- You’ll learn how to select a palette of suitable plants
- We’ll show you how to put together a planting scheme for a border
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Paul Richards is a registered member of the Society of Garden Designers; the highest recognition for garden design professionals. Membership is held by only around 200 designers. Criteria are rigorous and membership is only granted after passing the Society's adjudication panel.
Paul is an experienced garden designer with a portfolio that includes a wide range of sizes and styles of garden. Paul’s show gardens have won Gold and Silver Gilt medals and in 2011 his designs won Best in Show at both the Holker Garden Festival and the Southport Flower Show. He was shortlisted for Best Garden Designer in the 2011 Northern Design Awards.
His design practice, Paul Richards Garden Design, was launched in 2007 in Lancashire and has since relocated close to Shrewsbury in Paul's home county of Shropshire, and have clients across the UK, but focus mainly in Shropshire and its neighbouring counties.